1. One of the most common deficiencies in the world : 1361658.
1. One of the most common deficiencies in the world is _____________ deficiency.
d. ascorbic acid
2. Farmers use pesticides to
a. increase the shelf life of foods.
b. control plant diseases.
c. prevent food-borne disease.
d. increase crop yields.
3. Farming methods that use natural means of pest control without the use of synthetic pesticides are called
a. fossil fuel.
b. genetically modified.
4. Lead absorption is increased in children with
b. iron deficiency.
c. high sugar intakes.
d. unsafe drinking water.
5. Children exposed to high levels of lead are at risk for
a. mental deficits.
b. heart problems.
c. respiratory problems.
d. kidney problems.
6. Mercury poisoning is most often caused by eating which of the following?
a. raw seafood
b. improperly canned foods
c. fish from contaminated water
d. crops grown with pesticides
7. The main government agency responsible for food safety is the
a. Centers for Disease Control.
b. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
c. U.S. Public Health Service (PHS).
d. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
8. A health claim approved by the FDA is
a. apples and the prevention of hypertension.
b. low sodium and the prevention of hypertension.
c. zinc and the prevention of wounds.
d. spinach and the prevention of diabetes.
9. Leftovers placed in the refrigerator should be stored at or below _____° F.
10. Food additives _____ the nutritional value of foods.
b. sometimes increase
c. have no effect on
d. are legal only if they increase