1. The primary organ involved in the disease process of : 1361680.
1. The primary organ involved in the disease process of type 1 diabetes mellitus is the
a. adrenal gland.
2. The main factors that influence development of type 2 diabetes mellitus are
a. weight and heredity.
b. liver disease.
c. enzyme deficiencies.
d. childhood illnesses.
3. Type 2 diabetes is most common in
d. older adults.
4. A food that represents one carbohydrate exchange would be
a. 1 slice whole wheat bread
b. 1 cup vanilla ice cream
c. 5 ounces white tuna
d. 1 tsp margarine
1 slice whole wheat bread would be 1 carbohydrate exchange. Starches consisting of breads, cereals, and grains are part of the carbohydrate list.
5. In reviewing the plan of care for a patient with type 2 diabetes who is overweight and likes to eat sweets, an initial goal might be to
a. start 10 units of regular insulin 30 minutes before each meal.
b. replace snack of 5 filled chocolate cookies with 3 graham crackers.
c. check blood sugar after eating cookies and initiate sliding scale insulin.
d. remove all carbohydrate foods and encourage only high protein foods.
6. A 62-year-old patient with a history of blood sugars slightly above normal and recurrent skin infections may need to be further assessed for
a. type 2 diabetes.
b. gestational diabetes.
c. chronic kidney disease.
7. Uncontrolled diabetes is related to the abnormal metabolism of
a. carbohydrates and proteins.
b. proteins and fats.
c. carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
d. carbohydrates only.
8. A blood sugar of 85 mg/dL would be considered
a. below normal.
d. above normal.
9. The largest portion of islet cells in the pancreas are the cells that synthesize
d. growth hormone.
10. The hormone that is synthesized by the pancreatic islet cells is
1. The primary organ involved in the disease process of : 1361680