1) What invention by Bell Labs in 1947 brought about : 1380694.
1) What invention by Bell Labs in 1947 brought about modern electronics?
A) the invention of software
B) the invention of the transistor
C) the invention of the CD
D) the invention of the computer
2) Science presents society with ________, about which society then makes decisions.
D) worst-case scenarios
3) Because scientists are in the business of investigating nature, scientists function as:
A) society’s eyes and ears on the natural world.
B) political advisors.
C) authorities on the natural world.
D) protectors of the natural world.
4) Which of the following is at the root cause for all cancers?
A) antibiotic resistance
C) the normal cell division process
D) a breakdown of the cell division process
5) Which of the following is true?
A) A scientific theory is a hunch about a natural event.
B) A scientific fact and a scientific theory carry the same weight in the scientific community.
C) A scientific theory explains what we know to this date about a natural event.
D) A scientific theory is the final answer to a question about a natural event.
6) Choose the answer that best describes the sequence of the scientific method.
A) experiment, observation, hypothesis, conclusion
B) hypothesis, experiment, observation, conclusion
C) guess, hypothesis, experiment, conclusion
D) observation, hypothesis, experiment, absolute fact
E) observation, hypothesis, experiment, conclusion
7) The role of a control in an experiment is to:
A) prove a hypothesis is correct.
B) ensure the experiment can be repeated.
C) prove that a hypothesis is correct and ensure repeatability.
D) provide a basis of comparison to an experimental group.
8) We use the scientific method every day. Imagine your car doesn’t start one morning before school. Which of these is a reasonable hypothesis regarding the problem?
A) I’m going to be late.
B) I’m out of gas.
C) Check to see whether your lights were left on all night.
D) Add a quart of oil.
9) A scientific explanation that is tentative and testable is termed a/an:
10) Which of the following is a theory?
A) There is molecular and biochemical evidence that all organisms are related.
B) Many people believe echinacea cures their colds.
C) A boy finds a chipped rock he believes is an arrowhead.
D) Many people claim that the Earth is only 6,000 years old.