101. The absorptive state A. occurs immediately to about 4 : 1380616.
101. The absorptive state
A. occurs immediately to about 4 hours after meals.
B. is when glycogenolysis usually occurs.
C. has gluconeogenesis as one of its main events.
D. occurs in the large intestine.
E. occurs just before breakfast.
102. Arrange the following events so that they indicate a possible metabolic sequence the body might use to interconvert a protein to a fat.
1 Glycerol and three fatty acids combine to form triglycerides.
2 Fatty acids are formed from acetyl CoA.
3 Protein is digested to release amino acids.
4 Amino acids are converted to acetyl CoA.
A. 2, 3, 4, 1
B. 3, 4, 2, 1
C. 4, 2, 3, 1
D. 2, 4, 3, 1
E. 4, 3, 2, 1
103. During the postabsorptive state, the first source of glucose is
D. amino acids.
104. The events that occur in the postabsorptive state collectively
A. decrease fat metabolism.
B. maintain blood glucose levels.
C. interconvert proteins to fats.
D. assure adequate lipogenesis.
E. maintain protein levels.
105. Which of the following is least likely to occur late in the postabsorptive state?
A. hydrolysis of triglycerides
B. use of acetyl-CoA and ketones for energy
C. formation of glycogen
D. use of proteins as an energy source
E. reduced removal of glucose from the blood
106. Metabolic rate is the total amount of
A. glucose absorbed by the small intestine each hour.
B. heat produced by body cells in an hour.
C. energy produced and used by the body per unit of time.
D. carbon dioxide exhaled per unit of time.
E. kilocalories consumed.
107. If a person cuts their daily caloric intake by 500 Kcal, how long will it take to lose 1 pound of fat?
A. 5 days
B. 1 week
C. 10 days
D. 2 weeks
E. 12 days
108. The BMR (basal metabolic rate) can increase
A. during fasting.
B. during pregnancy.
C. as a result of decreased thyroid hormone production.
D. while resting instead of studying for a test.
E. during dieting.
109. The energy cost for assimilation of food is called
A. the thermic effect of food.
B. the basal metabolic rate.
C. the caloric intake.
E. free energy.
110. Which of the following will increase metabolic rate?
D. reduced caloric intake