11. According to Piaget, the 6-month-old infant should be in : 1361482.
11. According to Piaget, the 6-month-old infant should be in which developmental stage?
a. Use of reflexes
b. Primary circular reactions
c. Secondary circular reactions
d. Coordination of secondary schemata
12. A nurse is conducting a teaching session for parents of infants. The nurse explains that which behavior indicates that an infant has developed object permanence?
a. Recognizes familiar face, such as mother
b. Recognizes familiar object, such as bottle
c. Actively searches for a hidden object
d. Secures objects by pulling on a string
13. A parent asks the nurse “at what age do most infants begin to fear strangers?” The nurse should give which response?
a. 2 months
b. 4 months
c. 6 months
d. 12 months
14. The nurse is interviewing the father of a 10-month-old infant. She is playing on the floor when she notices an electric outlet and reaches up to touch it. Her father says “no” firmly and removes her from near the outlet. The nurse should use this opportunity to teach the father that the infant:
a. is old enough to understand the word “no.”
b. is too young to understand the word “no.”
c. should already know that electric outlets are dangerous.
d. will learn safety issues better if she is spanked.
15. A 4-month-old was born at 35 weeks of gestation. She seems to be developing normally, but her parents are concerned because she is a “more difficult” baby than their other child, who was term. The nurse should explain that:
a. infants’ temperaments are part of their unique characteristics.
b. infants become less difficult if they are not kept on scheduled feedings and structured routines.
c. the infant’s behavior is suggestive of failure to bond completely with her parents.
d. the infant’s difficult temperament is the result of painful experiences in the neonatal period.
16. Which information could be given to the parents of a 12-month-old child regarding appropriate play activities?
a. Give large push-pull toys for kinetic stimulation.
b. Place cradle gym across crib to facilitate fine motor skills.
c. Provide child with finger-paints to enhance fine motor skills.
d. Provide stick horse to develop gross motor coordination.
17. The nurse is discussing development and play activities with the parent of a 2-month-old. Recommendations should include giving a first rattle at about which age?
a. 2 months
b. 4 months
c. 7 months
d. 9 months
18. Which is an appropriate play activity for a 7-month-old infant to encourage visual stimulation?
a. Playing peek-a-boo
b. Playing pat-a-cake
c. Imitating animal sounds
d. Showing how to clap hands
19. Which would be the best play activity for a 6-month-old infant to provide tactile stimulation?
a. Allow to splash in bath.
b. Give various colored blocks.
c. Play music box, tapes, or CDs.
d. Use infant swing or stroller.
20. At what age should the nurse expect an infant to begin smiling in response to pleasurable stimuli?
a. 1 month
b. 2 months
c. 3 months
d. 4 months
11. According to Piaget, the 6-month-old infant should be in : 1361482