11) Bacteria and fungi important decomposers. However, which decomposition function : 1380887.
11) Bacteria and fungi are important decomposers. However, which decomposition function is almost entirely the work of fungi?
A) decomposition of bacterial mass
B) digestion of metallic materials in landfills
C) large-animal decomposition
D) final breakdown of woody material
12) Which of the following is a fungal skin disease?
A) dry rot
C) Dutch elm disease
D) skin rust
13) A feature unique to some fungi is:
A) a lack of chlorophyll.
B) cells with three haploid nuclei.
C) dikaryotic cells.
D) diploid cells.
14) A major reason why fungi can grow and sprout mushrooms so quickly is that:
A) mushrooms are essentially fluid-filled bags and almost entirely water.
B) porous connections between cells allow rapid movement of materials toward the growing tips of hyphae.
C) fungi cells divide more like bacteria than eukaryotic cells.
D) fungal spores contain large food reserves.
15) When club fungi reproduce sexually, which of the following occurs?
A) Two spores merge into a seed that produces hyphae.
B) Two mushroom caps from different fungi exchange genes.
C) Sperm and egg cells fuse.
D) Nuclei from two different fungi fuse.
16) The cell walls of fungi contain:
17) A more or less circular ring of mushrooms appears in your yard, apparently overnight. The circle is several yards in diameter. The most likely explanation for this circle of mushrooms is that:
A) the mushrooms are all part of the same organism, with mycelia radiating out from the location of a germinated spore.
B) a circle is nature’s most perfect shape for asexual reproduction structures.
C) one mushroom in the circle reproduced sexually to make all the other mushrooms in the circle.
D) the fungus produces a toxin in the center to prevent too many mushrooms from being produced.
18) Conspicuous shelf-like or saddle-like structures on the surface of a tree that indicate a fungus is growing within the tree are for:
A) showy display to attract a mate.
B) defense from predators.
C) reproduction and spore dispersal.
19) Fungi that reproduce by “budding” are:
D) made of hyphae to form a reproductive mycelium.
20) A fungus is examined microscopically and found to have a “lollypop-shaped” sporangium. This fungus must belong to:
11) Bacteria and fungi important decomposers. However, which decomposition function : 1380887