11. Factors that influence the absorption and metabolism of alcohol : 1400712.
11. Factors that influence the absorption and metabolism of alcohol include
D. all of the above
12. Jenny and her friend Tim went out wine tasting in the local vineyards with a group of friends. Jenny was enjoying herself immensely but found that she was feeling the “loosening” effects of the wine much sooner than Tim. Both Jenny and Tim were of similar height and weight. What was the most likely reason for why were they reacting so differently?
A. Jenny spent more time sitting at her desk at work than Tim.
B. Jenny’s ancestors came from Italy, whereas Tim’s ancestors were from Ireland.
C. Jenny’s body had 30 percent less ADH than Tim’s.
D. Tim was a few years older than Jenny.
13. Which vitamin is required along with ADH to convert alcohol to acetaldehyde in the liver?
D. folic acid
14. In the first reaction in the metabolism of alcohol, it is converted to
A. acetyl CoA.
15. The symptoms of a hangover, such as nausea, headache, and fatigue, are caused by
A. buildup of ADH in blood.
B. buildup of alcohol in blood.
C. buildup of acetaldehyde in blood.
D. none of the above
16. Which of the following is the reason why a Breathalyzer works?
A. Five percent of the alcohol consumed is not metabolized.
B. The alcohol expelled through the lungs correlates with the amount of alcohol in blood.
C. The alcohol that is not metabolized is excreted through the lungs, skin, or kidneys.
D. All of the above are reasons why a Breathalyzer works.
17. Which of the following statements is true about excessive alcohol consumption and the RAS?
A. The RAS can be shut down, resulting in unconsciousness.
B. The RAS suppresses breathing and circulation.
C. The RAS slows down reaction stimuli.
D. The RAS is not affected by excessive alcohol consumption.
18. The Dietary Guidelines recommends drinking in moderation based on the consumption of standard drinks. A standard drink is defined as
A. a drink served in a typical restaurant.
B. a drink containing 1 ounce of alcohol.
C. a drink containing 1/2 ounce of alcohol.
D. 8 ounces of any alcoholic beverage.
19. Which of the following groups of individuals need to abstain from alcohol in order to avoid its adverse effects?
A. pregnant and lactating women
B. women of childbearing age who may become pregnant
C. those who engage in specific activities that require special skills or coordination
D. all of the above
20. When does a hangover begin?
A. as soon as one begins to drink
B. when the BAC begins to go up
C. when the BAC begins to go down
D. 72 hours after alcohol has been consumed