11) Recommended weight gain during pregnancy based the
A) mother’s weight : 1201309.
11) Recommended weight gain during pregnancy is based on the
A) mother’s weight at the end of the first trimester.
B) size of the fetus at 3 months’ gestation.
C) mother’s weight before becoming pregnant.
D) mother’s height.
12) Which of the following statements is F regarding calcium needs during pregnancy?
A) The AI for calcium is the same for pregnant and non-pregnant women.
B) Calcium absorption is very efficient during pregnancy.
C) The extra demand for calcium during pregnancy has been shown to cause bone demineralization and increase the risk of future fractures.
D) Kale, collard greens, and broccoli are good plant sources of calcium.
13) During the second and third trimesters, the caloric needs of a pregnant woman increase by how many kilocalories per day?
A) 350 to 450
B) 350 to 500
C) 350 to 600
D) 350 to 750
14) Which of the following fatty acids is critical to fetal brain and eye development?
A) stearic acid
B) oleic acid
C) docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
D) palmitic acid
15) Rich dietary sources of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) include
A) beef and pork.
B) green leafy and yellow vegetables.
C) butter and milk.
D) mackerel and salmon.
16) During pregnancy, a woman’s consumption of fish should not exceed 12 oz per week to avoid what kind of contamination?
17) It has been suggested that what percentage of neural tube defects could be prevented if all women of childbearing age consumed adequate amounts of folate or folic acid?
A) 25 percent
B) 30 percent
C) 50 percent
D) 70 percent
18) At what point during pregnancy is adequate folate MOST important?
A) during the first four weeks after conception
B) during the second trimester
C) during the third trimester
D) immediately prior to delivery
19) Macrocytic anemia results from a deficiency of
A) vitamin D.
B) vitamin B6.
C) vitamin B12.
D) vitamin C.
20) Which of the following statements is F regarding vitamin B12 during pregnancy?
A) Vitamin B12 is easily obtained by consuming animal food sources.
B) The RDA for vitamin B12 doubles during pregnancy.
C) Vegan women are at risk for developing a vitamin B12 deficiency during this time.
D) Vitamin B12 absorption is very efficient during pregnancy.