11) The label a ready-to-eat cereal box indicates that 1 : 1201283.
11) The label on a ready-to-eat cereal box indicates that 1 cup contains 32 grams of carbohydrate, 4 grams of protein, and 2 grams of fat. How many kilocalories are there in two cups of this cereal?
12) Which of the following is NOT considered a basal function?
A) respiration (inhaling and exhaling air)
B) circulation of your blood and lymph
C) walking up stairs
D) maintaining your body temperature
13) Approximately what percentage of our total energy output is attributable to the thermic effect of food?
A) 5 to 10 percent
B) 5 to 20 percent
C) 5 to 40 percent
D) 5 to 60 percent
14) The primary determinant of basal metabolic rate is an individual’s
B) fat body mass.
C) lean body mass.
15) Which of the following individuals would MOST likely have the lowest basal metabolic rate?
A) a 28-year-old conditioned male athlete
B) a 28-year-old overweight woman
C) a 28-year-old normal weight male
D) a 28-year-old pregnant woman
16) Benjamin is an 18-year-old college student who is 5’10” tall and weighs 170 pounds. How many kilocalories does he expend each day for basal metabolism?
A) 1,375 kcal
B) 1,855 kcal
C) 3,024 kcal
D) 3,360 kcal
17) The three components of total energy expenditure include
A) basal metabolic rate, physical activity, and adaptive thermogenesis.
B) basal metabolic rate, physical activity, and the thermic effect of food.
C) basal metabolic rate, physical activity, and sleep activity.
D) basal metabolic rate, the thermic effect of food, and adaptive thermogenesis.
18) The amount of energy expended by the body in digesting, absorbing, transporting, metabolizing, and storing nutrients is called
A) the basal metabolic rate.
B) the nutrient expenditure quotient.
C) the thermic effect of food.
D) adaptive thermogenesis.
19) Robin’s dinner contains 750 kilocalories. What is the minimum amount of kilocalories that Robin will expend in order to process this meal?
A) 7 kcal
B) 25 kcal
C) 38 kcal
D) 113 kcal
20) Which nutrient requires the LEAST amount of energy to digest, transport, and store?
11) The label a ready-to-eat cereal box indicates that 1 : 1201283