11) The lungs housed in the mediastinum of the thoracic : 1221296.
11) The lungs are housed in the mediastinum of the thoracic cavity.
12) The bronchioles are the smallest of the conducting passageways in the lungs.
13) The parietal pleura is superficial to the visceral pleura.
14) The respiratory membrane is the air-blood barrier, where gases are exchanged.
15) The respiratory zone includes the respiratory bronchioles, alveolar ducts, alveolar sacs, and alveoli.
16) The process of breathing is known as pulmonary ventilation.
17) Inspiration results when the diaphragm and external intercostal muscles relax.
18) Expiration occurs when the thoracic and intrapulmonary volumes decrease and the intrapulmonary pressure increases.
19) The amount of air that can be forcibly inhaled over the tidal volume is around 3100 mL.
20) Normal quiet breathing, known as tidal volume, is around 500 mL of air.