11. The term for the effect of food intake metabolic : 1361636.
11. The term for the effect of food intake on metabolic rate is
a. thermic effect of food.
b. resting metabolic rate.
c. total energy requirement.
d. indirect calorimetry.
12. The sum of basal metabolism, energy expended in physical activity, and thermic effect of food is known as
a. metabolic rate.
b. energy intake.
c. basal energy needs.
d. total energy requirement.
13. When energy intake exceeds energy expenditure, the result can be
c. weight gain.
14. An activity that results in increased energy expenditure is
a. cleaning house.
b. balancing a checkbook.
c. experiencing emotional stress.
d. playing video games.
15. The thermic effect of food refers to the fact that
a. all nutrients contain calories.
b. certain foods are more stimulating than others to the gastrointestinal tract.
c. the presence of food in the stomach starts the process of digestion.
d. the process of digestion, absorption, and metabolism of food requires energy.
16. The body’s sources of stored energy include
b. adipose tissue.
c. undigested food.
17. Basal metabolic rate is controlled by the hormone
b. growth hormone.
18. The first source of stored energy to be used during a period of fasting is
a. amino acids.
c. adipose tissue.
19. Which of the following foods has the greatest caloric density?
20. Nutrient density means the
a. total weight of the nutrients in a food.
b. digestibility of the nutrients in a food.
c. concentration of energy in a given amount of food.
d. concentration of nutrients in a given amount of food.