11) What determines whether a protein will be produced a : 1380721.
11) What determines whether a protein will be produced on a “free ribosome” or on one attached to the endoplasmic reticulum?
A) a chemical signal on the protein being produced
B) a special sequence of nucleotides on the mRNA molecule
C) a special sequence of amino acids on the protein being produced
D) whether the mRNA first binds to a “free ribosome” or one attached to the endoplasmic reticulum
12) The function of the nucleus is to:
A) contain the DNA.
B) contain the cytoplasm.
C) produce proteins.
D) add sugars to proteins.
E) organize the cytoskeleton.
13) Which of the following is the correct order of events in a cell?
A) DNA makes protein; protein makes RNA.
B) Protein makes DNA; DNA makes RNA.
C) RNA makes DNA; DNA makes protein.
D) RNA makes protein; protein makes DNA.
E) DNA makes RNA; RNA makes protein.
14) Which of the following is a function of the nucleolus?
A) to allow mRNA to leave the nucleus
B) to act as the site of DNA synthesis
C) to attach polysaccharides to protein molecules
D) to synthesize ribosomal RNA
E) to synthesize messenger RNA
15) The function of ribosomes is to synthesize:
16) Many antibiotics work by blocking the function of ribosomes. Therefore, these antibiotics will:
A) block DNA synthesis.
B) block protein synthesis.
C) block RNA synthesis.
D) prevent the movement of proteins through nuclear pores.
E) make the two nuclear membranes fuse into one.
17) Insulin is a protein made in large amounts in cells of the pancreas. These cells secrete insulin into the blood, where it controls the uptake of sugar by body cells. How is insulin transported from the ER to the surface of the cell?
A) Insulin is sent through the cavities (lumen) of the endoplasmic reticulum that attach directly to the plasma membrane.
B) Insulin moves along tracks of cytoskeleton proteins.
C) Insulin moves through plasmodesmata to the surface of the cell.
D) Insulin is carried in small sacs of membrane (vesicles) that move from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi apparatus and then to the plasma membrane.
E) Insulin is carried by lysosomes that empty their contents outside the cell.
18) Which of the following is involved in modifying, sorting, and shipping proteins?
C) the Golgi complex
D) endoplasmic reticulum
19) Cells can increase the number or size of some organelles in response to new demands. The amount of one organelle often is increased dramatically in the livers of alcoholics. Based on what you know of organelle function, this organelle is the:
C) smooth endoplasmic reticulum.
E) Golgi apparatus.
20) Which choice below correctly matches organelle with function?
A) lysosome–energy generation
B) smooth endoplasmic reticulum–lipid production
C) mitochondria–food generation
D) cytoskeleton–recycling of materials