11. What the function of the hormone calcitonin?
A. It decreases : 1400775.
11. What is the function of the hormone calcitonin?
A. It decreases blood calcium levels after a calcium-rich meal.
B. It stimulates the uptake of calcium into the bone.
C. It reduces the amount of calcium absorbed through the small intestine.
D. It does all of the above.
12. What is the function of parathyroid hormone (PTH)?
A. It stimulates the kidneys to increase blood pressure.
B. It activates the thirst mechanism and triggers the release of ADH from the pituitary.
C. It stimulates the kidneys to convert vitamin D to calcitriol.
D. It assists in the removal of CO2 from the blood.
13. Which positive mineral does sodium work with to help transmit nerve impulses that signal muscles to contract?
14. Hypercalcemia may cause all of the following except
B. interference with the absorption of other minerals.
C. calcium deposits in the body tissues.
D. a swollen tongue.
15. The best type of calcium supplement is from
A. unrefined oyster shell.
B. bone meal.
D. None of the above are recommended types.
16. At what age does peak bone mass usually occur?
17. In women, bone loss accelerates after
B. giving birth.
D. age 65.
18. All of the following are correct about Type 1 osteoporosis except
A. it is due to a decrease in estrogen levels during menopause.
B. it is more common in men than women.
C. is often associated with fractures of the spine, hip, wrist, or forearm.
D. bones become brittle and weaken.
19. Which vitamin supplement can significantly increase the risk of hip fractures in older individuals?
A. vitamin A
D. vitamin B12
20. In addition to preventing osteoporosis, calcium may have a protective effect against which type of cancer?