11) Which of the following true of logistic growth?
A) Logistic : 1380990.
11) Which of the following is true of logistic growth?
A) Logistic growth occurs when predators are very limited in population size.
B) Logistic growth may start in a way that resembles exponential growth but slows and stabilizes.
C) Logistic growth describes the growth of a population in an environment with an unlimited carrying capacity.
D) Logistic growth is plotted as a J-shaped curve.
12) Which of the following is true of a population’s intrinsic rate of increase?
A) It is the rate at which a population would grow if there were no external limits to growth.
B) It is the death rate minus the birth rate, or a measure of annual population change in a population near K.
C) It is the rate at which populations grow in nature in the face of all environmental limits.
D) It occurs when the birth rate equals the death rate.
13) The maximum population density of a given species that a defined geographical area can sustain over time is known as the:
A) community capacity.
B) ecosystem capacity.
C) maximum yield.
D) carrying capacity.
14) Which of the following would be an example of environmental resistance?
A) food supply increasing along with a population
B) bacteria populations producing more toxic waste as they grow
C) slow gestation periods
D) life span that increases with population size
15) A population of rabbits introduced to an island grows rapidly for a few years, and then growth slows and stabilizes. The population becomes stable because:
A) the intrinsic rate of increase has declined.
B) environmental resistance declined.
C) immigration was reduced.
D) the carrying capacity has been reached.
16) K, in population growth equations, refers to:
A) carrying capacity.
B) the predation factor.
C) environmental resistance.
D) biotic potential.
17) A negative rate of increase, or a negative r, means that:
A) the population is shrinking.
B) the population has a short generation time.
C) death rates have decreased.
D) there is zero population growth.
18) A population’s intrinsic rate of increase can be calculated by:
A) subtracting r from K.
B) multiplying r by K.
C) multiplying r by the initial population size, N.
D) subtracting birth rate from death rate.
19) The average amount of time that passes between the birth of a woman and the birth of her child is called:
A) reproductive time.
B) generation time.
C) birth rate.
D) population rate.
20) Which of the following would be a valid, general pattern seen in generation time?
A) Nearly all K-selected organisms have short generation times.
B) Species with the fastest growth rates have the longest generation times.
C) The larger the species is, the longer its generation time tends to be.
D) All vertebrates have long generation times.