21) Identify the most common lethal inherited disease affecting Caucasians : 1200352.
21) Identify the most common lethal inherited disease affecting Caucasians of Northern European descent that results from a defective gene located on chromosome 7.
E) cystic fibrosis
22) In this procedure, an incision is made through the anterior tracheal wall and a tube is inserted.
E) None of these is correct.
23) The function of the nasal conchae is to
A) divide the nasal cavity into a right and a left side.
B) provide an opening into the pharynx.
C) provide a surface for the sense of smell.
D) create turbulence in the air to trap small particulates in mucus.
E) provide an opening to the outside of the body.
24) The pitch of a vocal sound is controlled by changing the
A) force of air.
B) diameter, length, and tension of the vocal cords.
C) size of the laryngeal cartilage.
D) shape of the laryngeal cartilage.
E) length and depth of the nasal cavity.
25) The walls of bronchioles are dominated by ________, whose activity is regulated by the autonomic nervous system.
A) C rings of hyaline cartilage
B) elastic cartilage
C) skeletal muscle
D) a mix of cartilage plates and smooth muscle
E) smooth muscle
26) High-pitched sounds are produced by vocal cords, which are
A) long and thick.
B) long and thin.
C) slowly vibrating.
D) short and thick.
E) short and thin.
27) Sympathetic activation leads to
A) relaxation in skeletal muscle of bronchioles, causing bronchodilation.
B) contraction of smooth muscles of bronchioles, causing bronchoconstriction.
C) relaxation in smooth muscles of bronchioles, causing bronchodilation.
D) relaxation of smooth muscles of bronchioles, resulting in bronchoconstriction.
E) contraction of smooth muscles of bronchioles, causing bronchodilation.
28) The following is a list of some of the structures of the respiratory tree:
1 – secondary bronchi
2 – tertiary bronchi
3 – bronchioles
4 – primary bronchi
29) The walls of the alveoli are lined by
A) stratified cuboidal epithelium.
B) pseudostratified epithelium.
C) simple squamous epithelium.
D) loose connective tissue.
E) hyaline cartilage.
30) The actual sites of gas exchange within the lungs are
B) alveolar ducts.
C) pleural spaces.
E) capillary beds.