21) The force that tends to reabsorb or pull water : 1200329.
21) The force that tends to reabsorb or pull water back into a capillary is called ________ pressure.
A) capillary hydrostatic
B) blood osmotic
22) ________ tends to diffuse across the capillary lining, driven by their individual concentration gradients.
C) Fatty acids
D) Amino acids
E) Solute molecules
23) The force that pushes fluid out of the capillaries is called ________.
A) capillary hydrostatic pressure
B) osmotic pressure
C) systolic pressure
D) diastolic pressure
E) pressure gradient
24) The term blood pressure refers to the pressure in ________ of the cardiovascular system.
A) the venous component
B) the capillary vessels
C) all the vessels
D) the arterial vessels
E) the arteriovenous component
25) ________ refers to the factors that oppose blood flow in the entire cardiovascular system.
B) Vascular resistance
C) Total peripheral resistance
E) Elastic rebound
26) The instrument used to measure blood pressure is the ________.
E) hydrostatic pressure cuff
27) As blood travels through the venous system toward the heart, why do the veins become larger in diameter?
A) The transition causes the resistance to increase further so that the flow rate of blood increases.
B) The transition causes the resistance to drop further so that the flow rate of blood increases.
C) The transition causes the resistance to decrease further so that the flow rate of blood decreases.
D) The transition causes the resistance to increase further so that the flow rate of blood decreases.
E) The transition reflects no change in the resistance, but causes the flow rate of blood to increase.
28) The tendency for water and small solutes to move out of the blood is greatest at the ________.
A) venous end of capillaries
B) transition between muscular arteries and arterioles
C) transition between elastic and muscular arteries
D) arteriolar end of capillaries
E) transition between venules and medium-sized veins
29) Which of the following is the top number in a blood pressure reading?
A) diastolic pressure
B) systolic pressure
C) pulse pressure
D) mean arterial pressure
E) blood osmotic pressure
30) Which of the following has the greatest effect on blood flow to the tissues?
A) diffusion distance across vessel walls
B) venous valves
C) peripheral resistance
D) vessel length
E) collagen fiber content of tunica externa