21) Which of the following NOT a major function of : 1201359.
21) Which of the following is NOT a major function of protein in the human body?
A) maintaining fluid balance
B) providing energy to the body
C) growth and maintenance of new tissue
D) synthesis of hormones
22) Which of the following is NOT an amino-acid containing hormone?
23) Which of the following proteins are fundamental to the immune system?
D) transport proteins
24) Proteases are
A) protein messengers that are released from storage in response to an alteration in the body’s homeostasis.
B) transport proteins that move substances throughout the body.
C) defense proteins that attack foreign bacteria, viruses, and toxins.
D) enzymes that break down protein in the small intestine.
25) Conduction of nerve signals and contraction of muscles depends on the proper balance of
26) Which of the following statements is FALSE?
A) HCl denatures protein to allow digestive enzymes to break down the protein.
B) HCl inhibits the digestion of fat so it does not compete with protein digestion.
C) HCl untangles the strands of protein and breaks the peptide bonds.
D) HCl converts pepsinogen into pepsin.
27) Significant chemical digestion of protein begins in the
28) The process of combining two incomplete proteins to make a complete protein is called
A) the protein-combining method.
B) amino acid sequencing method.
C) mutual supplementation.
29) Which of the following individuals is MOST likely to be in positive nitrogen balance?
A) a 29-year-old woman who is 6 months pregnant
B) a 20-year-old female who is consuming 500 calories a day
C) a 10-year-old boy recovering from severe burns
D) a 30-year-old man with a temperature of 103.7°F
30) To conserve body protein for its vital functions and not use it to provide energy, you should
A) eat adequate amounts of carbohydrate and fat to conserve protein for other functions.
B) eat at least twice the recommended RDA for protein to ensure adequate protein stores.
C) work out in the gym at least three times a week to store additional protein for later use.
D) eat meat three times a week to ensure adequate protein storage.