31) A mechanism that clears the upper respiratory passages, which : 1221305.
31) A mechanism that clears the upper respiratory passages, which is similar to a cough except that the expelled air is directed through the nasal cavities instead of the oral cavity, is called a __________.
32) Air that remains in the conducting zone passageways and never reaches the alveoli is called the __________.
33) Respiratory capacities are measured with a __________.
34) During __________, oxygen binds to hemoglobin to form oxyhemoglobin.
35) __________ is an odorless, colorless gas which binds preferentially with the same binding site on hemoglobin.
36) Most carbon dioxide is dissolved in blood plasma and transported as __________.
37) Inadequate oxygen delivery to body tissues is called __________.
38) The portions of the brain that contain respiratory centers and set the breathing rate are the __________.
39) A normal respiratory rate of about 12-15 breaths per minute is called __________.
40) The most important stimulus for breathing in a healthy person is the body’s need to rid itself of the blood gas called __________.
41) In order to return acidic blood pH to normal, breathing becomes deeper and more rapid, a phenomenon known as __________.
42) The fatty molecule made by alveolar cells known as __________ reduces surface tension prevents alveoli collapse between breaths.