31) The blood supply to the skin arises from a : 1200460.
31) The blood supply to the skin arises from a network of blood vessels called the ________ plexus in the hypodermis, at its border with the reticular layer of the dermis.
32) The dermis is composed largely of ________.
B) fluid connective
C) dense irregular connective
33) The ________ layer of the skin contains bundles of collagen fibers and elastin, and is responsible for the mechanical strength and flexibility of the skin.
34) Which of the following is the function of hair associated with a nerve fiber?
A) provides an early-warning system that may help prevent injury
B) helps cushion a light blow to the head
C) protects the scalp from UV light
D) helps prevent the entry of foreign particles
E) provides protection for the surface of the eye
35) The reticular layer’s collagen fibers directly provide which function?
A) prevent damage to the tissue
B) nourish the epidermis
C) provide flexibility
D) provide sensory information
E) increase surface area of the dermis
36) Nerve fibers in the dermis most likely function in
A) defending of local tissues after infection.
B) providing nutrients and oxygen to the skin.
C) controlling blood flow to the dermis and epidermis.
D) repairing tissue after injury.
E) removing carbon dioxide and waste products.
37) The highly vascular layer of the skin, which provides thermoregulation via changing blood flow, is the
B) subcutaneous layer.
C) stratum basale.
D) stratum corneum.
38) The subcutaneous layer consists of
A) epithelial and adipose tissues.
B) areolar and adipose tissues.
C) dense connective and loose connective tissues.
D) epithelium and loose connective tissues.
E) skeletal muscles and adipose tissue.
39) The loose connective tissue that separates the integument from deeper tissues and organs is called the
A) epidermis or dermis.
B) epidermis or subcutaneous layer.
C) hypodermis or subcutaneous layer.
D) integument or dermis.
E) epidermis or superficial fascia.
40) The hypodermis
A) provides mechanical strength to the skin.
B) is quite elastic.
C) is highly vascular.
D) is composed of strata with various functions.
E) contains a variety of sensory receptors.