31) The first place in which mechanical processing of food : 1200367.
31) The first place in which mechanical processing of food takes place is the
A) oral cavity.
D) large intestine.
E) small intestine.
32) The first set of teeth to appear are the ________ teeth.
33) During eating, the pH of saliva rises to
34) Functions of the tongue include
A) sensory analysis of food.
B) production of salivary antibodies such as IgA.
C) production of salivary amylase.
D) absorption of nutrients.
E) secretion of digestive enzymes.
35) Infection of the ________ by the mumps virus can produce temporary or permanent diabetes.
B) sublingual salivary glands
E) parotid salivary glands
36) The esophagus passes through a hole in the diaphragm called the ________.
A) esophageal hiatus
D) upper esophageal sphincter
E) lower esophageal sphincter
37) Which is the second phase of the swallowing process, beginning when the bolus comes into contact with the palatal arches?
A) pharyngeal phase
B) buccal phase
C) duodenal phase
D) esophageal phase
E) gastric phase
38) Which phase of swallowing begins with compression of the bolus against the hard palate?
39) Which of the following statements regarding the muscularis externa of the esophagus is true?
A) The upper third portion of the esophagus consists of smooth muscle, the middle third portion is a mixture of smooth and skeletal muscles, and the lower third consists of skeletal muscle.
B) The entire muscularis of the esophagus consists of skeletal muscle only.
C) The entire muscularis of the esophagus consists of smooth muscle only.
D) The upper third portion of the esophagus consists of smooth muscle, and the remaining portion is a mixture of skeletal and smooth muscles.
E) The upper third portion of the esophagus consists of skeletal muscle, the middle third portion is a mixture of skeletal and smooth muscles, and the lower third consists of smooth muscle.
40) The largest area of the stomach is called the