31) Which of the following an adaptation that helped plants : 1380863.
31) Which of the following is an adaptation that helped plants move from aquatic environments to the land?
B) a cuticle
D) swimming sperm
32) An advantage allowing the seed plant to greatly surpass the seedless vascular plants in colonizing the land was the evolution of:
A) large leaves with great surface area.
B) fibrous root systems.
C) air-dispersed sperm in pollen grains.
D) durable, water-resistant spores.
33) One advantage of angiosperms over gymnosperms is that angiosperms have evolved:
A) more efficient means of pollination.
B) more water-resistant leaves.
C) stronger vascular tissue.
D) better protection from plant pathogens such as fungi.
34) During the Silurian, the oxygen gas concentration in the atmosphere is postulated to have reached an amount equivalent to more than 10 percent of its present-day concentration. Thus, nearly all lethal ultraviolet radiation was unable to reach the Earth’s surface, making dry land available for newly evolved forms. Which of the following major events in the evolution of animals and plants probably occurred at this time?
A) The amphibians developed watertight skins and eggs.
B) The crayfish become the first land organisms.
C) The first major groups of seed plants appeared.
D) Primitive bryophytes and fern-like plants appeared.
35) Which of the following is a correct sequence of events in the history of life on Earth?
A) aquatic organisms, photosynthesis, RNA world, land organisms
B) prokaryotes, eukaryotes, land animals, land plants
C) Cambrian explosion, multicellular organisms, photosynthesis, eukaryotes
D) prokaryotes, photosynthesis, eukaryotes, land organisms
36) Some of the earliest animals to successfully adapt to life on land were the:
D) aquatic vertebrates.
37) Which of the following is assumed to be more primitive than a dinosaur and more complex than a shark?
A) segmented worm
38) An adaptation of arthropods that made them well adapted for life on land was an exoskeleton that can:
A) provide camouflage.
B) prevent water loss.
C) overcome the effects of gravity.
D) protect against predators.
39) Which group of vertebrates possessed an anatomical feature that made evolution of the limbs of all tetrapods possible?
D) lobe-finned fish
40) Early mammals differed from reptiles in many respects, including:
A) the number of legs used for walking.
B) feeding their young milk.
C) eating other organisms for food.
D) internal versus external fertilization.