31) Which statement about diffusion correct?
A) Diffusion can occur only : 1380733.
31) Which statement about diffusion is correct?
A) Diffusion can occur only through a membrane.
B) Diffusion requires a protein channel.
C) Diffusion of water cannot occur.
D) Diffusion causes movement of materials toward equilibrium.
32) Diffusion is a process by which a substance:
A) goes from lesser to greater concentration.
B) goes down its concentration gradient.
C) goes up its concentration gradient.
D) is at equilibrium.
33) The term that describes the diffusion of water is:
A) simple diffusion.
C) facilitated diffusion.
D) active transport.
34) You have lost a lot of blood in an accident. In the emergency room the first thing the doctors will need to do is replace lost fluids. The fluids they give you should be:
A) isotonic to your cells.
B) hypotonic to your cells.
C) hypertonic to your cells.
D) either hypertonic or isotonic to your cells.
E) either hypertonic or hypotonic to your cells.
35) Plants stay standing upright because of turgor pressure caused by:
A) water rushing into the cells, keeping the cells tight.
B) solutes rushing into the cells, keeping the cells tight.
C) bones that run through the plant, holding it upright.
D) cell walls of the plants supporting and keeping the plants standing upright.
36) Water moves from a:
A) hypotonic environment to a hypertonic environment.
B) hypertonic environment to a hypotonic environment.
C) low free-water solution toward a high free-water solution.
D) solution with more salt to a solution with less salt.
37) Which of the following would be least likely to diffuse through a phospholipid bilayer?
A) carbon dioxide
C) the small, nonpolar molecule of butane
E) sodium ions
38) One difference between passive and active transport through a cell membrane is that:
A) active transport makes ATP.
B) active transport requires ATP.
C) passive transport requires ATP.
D) passive transport makes ATP.
39) Facilitated diffusion occurs with the help of:
A) recognition proteins.
B) peripheral proteins.
C) transport proteins.
D) communication proteins.
40) Active transport:
A) moves only large molecules into the cell.
B) causes the production of ATP within the cell.
C) increases the concentration of solute inside the cell.
D) moves substances against their concentration gradient.