41) A karyotype reveals that a woman carrying a fetus : 1380802.
41) A karyotype reveals that a woman is carrying a fetus that has 47 chromosomes. The test reveals that the genotype of the fetus is XXY. Which of the following statements is correct?
A) The fetus has Down syndrome, and most likely a nondisjunction event occurred in the mother during egg formation.
B) The fetus has Turner syndrome, and most likely a nondisjunction event occurred in the mother during egg formation.
C) The fetus has Klinefelter syndrome.
D) The fetus has an autosomal disorder.
42) What single attribute determines that a human fetus is male?
A) the absence of a second X chromosome
B) the absence of a Y chromosome
C) the presence of a Y chromosome
D) the presence of two X chromosomes
43) Nondisjunction in somatic cells can result in aneuploid cells. This may give rise to:
A) Down syndrome.
B) Turner syndrome.
C) Klinefelter syndrome.
E) cri-du-chat syndrome.
44) Which of the following combinations of chromosomes would be found in a person afflicted with Turner syndrome?
45) When a fragment breaks from a chromosome and rejoins it, in a flipped orientation, the result is called a/an:
46) What is a possible cause of the chromosomal aberration called a “duplication”?
A) unequal crossing over
B) exchange between non-homologous chromosomes
C) a chromosome fragment that breaks off and does not rejoin any chromosome
D) breaking of a chromosome fragment, then rejoining in a flipped orientation
47) A karyotype you are viewing shows an extra piece of chromosome 1 attached to chromosome 22. What type of abnormality caused this?
48) Which of the following is a transfer of genes between non-homologous chromosomes?
B) crossing over
49) Cri-du-chat syndrome babies are mentally challenged and have an abnormal larynx that makes sounds like the cry of a cat. This disorder is due to a/an:
A) deletion in chromosome 5.
B) inversion in chromosome 2.
C) translocation between chromosome 9 and 22.
D) duplication in chromosome 7.
E) trisomy 21.
50) A chromosome that has been broken and has lost a section has had a/an: