41) Which of the following NOT a factor that indicates : 1201312.
41) Which of the following is NOT a factor that indicates an infant is ready to accept solid foods?
A) The infant can sit up with or without support.
B) The infant’s tongue extrusion reflex has begun to abate.
C) The infant is at least six months old.
D) The infant has high stores of iron.
42) Why are newborn infants given a single injection of vitamin K?
A) Breast milk and infant formulas are low in vitamin K.
B) The trauma of birth destroys the newborn’s vitamin K stores.
C) The infant’s intestinal bacteria are not yet able to synthesize vitamin K.
D) Infants cannot absorb vitamin K until approximately 3 months of age.
43) Why is it strongly recommended that infants NOT consume honey?
A) Honey consumption during infancy is associated with the development of dental caries.
B) Honey can lead to chronic diarrhea in infants.
C) Infants do not like the taste of honey.
D) Honey contains spores of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum.
44) Which pregnancy-specific organ is responsible for delivering nutrients and oxygen to the fetus and removing waste products?
45) Anchovies, mackerel, salmon, and sardines are good sources of
B) vitamin C.
46) The substance that cushions and protects the developing fetus is the
A) amniotic fluid.
D) umbilical cord.
47) The sticky “first stool” excreted by the newborn infant is called
B) amniotic fluid.
48) Premilk, which is rich in immune factors and protein, is also known by what name?
49) The hormone responsible for the synthesis of breast milk is called
D) lactic acid.
50) The major protein found in breast milk is
B) lactic acid.
51) Over-reliance on breast milk or formula by infants and children can limit iron intake and lead to
A) milk anemia.
B) sickle cell anemia.
C) macrocytic anemia.
D) iron-deficiency anemia.
52) Inconsolable crying for hours at a time is a characteristic of
A) milk allergy.
C) milk anemia.
53) Severe tooth decay as a result of prolonged exposure to breast milk, formula, or juice is called
B) milk anemia.
C) nursing bottle syndrome.