41) Which of the following true about both sperm and : 1380784.
41) Which of the following is true about both sperm and egg production?
A) Initiation of meiosis is continuous after puberty.
B) All cells that result from meiosis function as gametes.
C) All resulting gametes are the same size.
D) Millions of mature gametes are produced daily.
E) All resulting gametes are haploid.
42) What is the advantage of ova production resulting in one egg and three polar bodies?
A) This allows the egg to receive most of the cytoplasm.
B) This reduces egg size by distributing most of the cytoplasm to the polar bodies.
C) This allows the egg to receive all the chromosomes.
D) This removes Golgi complex, lysosomes, and other organelles from the egg.
E) This creates more polar bodies, which are the cells that will actually be fertilized.
43) What is one of the cellular differences between human eggs and sperm?
A) Sperm are arrested in meiosis II; eggs have completed meiosis.
B) Eggs have 200,000 times the volume of sperm.
C) Sperm contain a haploid set of chromosomes; eggs are diploid.
D) Sperm are arrested in meiosis I; eggs have completed meiosis.
E) Sperm have 200,000 times the volume of eggs.
44) In a human zygote, where did most of the cytoplasm come from?
D) polar bodies
45) When does an oocyte complete meiosis II?
A) in the seventh month of fetal life
B) immediately after release from the ovary
C) immediately after birth
D) after fertilization
E) as soon as puberty begins
46) What is the flagellum in sperm for?
A) to provide a diploid set of chromosomes
B) for energy production
C) to provide a haploid set of chromosomes
D) to serve as a structure for the physical propulsion of the sperm
E) to serve as a reserve of energy and nutrients for the zygote
47) Spermatogonia are called stem cells because they develop into two different types of cells. What are they?
A) primary spermatocytes and sperm
B) more spermatogonia and primary spermatocytes
C) polar bodies and oocytes
D) more spermatogonia and oocytes
E) polar bodies and sperm
48) From the list below, which choice represents a correct difference between sperm production and egg production?
A) Sperm are produced by mitosis; eggs are produced by meiosis.
B) Sperm are produced by meiosis; eggs are produced by mitosis.
C) Four mature sperm are produced from one cell; one large egg is produced from one cell.
D) Eight mature sperm are produced from one cell; two eggs are produced from one cell.
E) Sperm are produced by somatic (body) cells; eggs are produced by gametes.
49) In humans, which cells undergo meiosis?
A) polar bodies
B) oogonia and spermatogonia
D) primary oocytes and spermatocytes
E) sperm and eggs
50) From an evolutionary perspective, why is sexual reproduction advantageous over asexual reproduction?
A) Sexual reproduction is faster and easier than asexual reproduction.
B) Asexual reproduction minimizes differences, so natural selection can act more easily.
C) Sexual reproduction produces greater genetic diversity than asexual reproduction.
D) Sexual reproduction produces less genetic diversity than asexual reproduction.