51. A lack of testosterone production before birth would A. : 1380661.
51. A lack of testosterone production before birth would
A. inhibit normal development of male reproductive structures.
B. inhibit anterior pituitary secretions.
C. inhibit hypothalamus development.
D. inhibit FSH secretion from the anterior pituitary.
E. have no effect.
52. Once GnRH is released from the hypothalamus and enters the hypothalamohypophysial portal system,
A. testosterone is released from the anterior pituitary.
B. the interstitial cells produce inhibin.
C. estrogen production increases.
D. FSH and LH secretion will occur.
E. it will inhibit FSH and LH secretion.
53. Which of the following hormones stimulates the synthesis of testosterone by the fetal testes?
A. human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)
B. follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)
C. gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH)
D. luteinizing hormone releasing hormone (LH-RH)
54. What is the active hormone in target tissues of testosterone such as the penis?
55. The major factor controlling the onset of puberty in males is
A. a decrease in GnRH levels.
B. the production of testosterone by the testes.
C. the ability of the pituitary to secrete FSH and LH.
D. the hypothalamus becoming less sensitive to the inhibitory effects of androgens.
E. None of these choices is correct.
56. Which of the following statements concerning testosterone is true?
A. It prevents hair loss in pattern baldness.
B. It promotes atrophy of the larynx.
C. It can lead to an increase in muscle mass.
D. It causes the skin and hair to soften.
E. It decreases metabolic rate in males.
57. Which of the following effects on the body can NOT be attributed to testosterone?
A. enlargement of male genitalia
B. growth of pubic, axillary, and facial hair
C. hypertrophy of the larynx
D. increased calcium excretion
E. rapid bone growth
58. Which of the following hormones would decrease if an adult male were castrated (testes removed)?
59. Following ejaculation, a phase called resolution occurs. During resolution
A. a second ejaculation occurs.
B. a feeling of satisfaction occurs.
C. erection of the penis is maintained.
D. sperm production increases.
E. orgasm occurs.
60. Erection and ejaculation can be initiated by
A. manual stimulation of the penis.
B. contraction of smooth muscle.
C. impulses from the cerebellum.
D. increased blood levels of testosterone.
E. increased levels of LH and FSH.