61. A series of metabolic reactions in the liver that : 1380612.
61. A series of metabolic reactions in the liver that converts lactic acid into glucose is called
A. the electron transport system.
B. the Cori cycle.
C. the citric acid cycle.
D. beta oxidation.
E. sugar cleavage.
62. How many ATP and NADH are produced by glycolysis of one glucose molecule?
A. 2 ATP and 1 NADH
B. 4 ATP and 4 NADH
C. 2 ATP and 2 NADH
D. 1 ATP and 2 NADH
63. Where does glycolysis take place?
A. in the inner compartment of the mitochondrion
B. on the surface of the mitochondrion
C. in the cytoplasm of the cell
D. along the cristae of the mitochondrion
64. The citric acid cycle begins by combining
A. carbon dioxide and water to form carbonic acid.
B. pyruvic acid and acetic acid to form acetoacetic acid.
C. pyruvic acid and carbon dioxide to form lactic acid.
D. oxaloacetic acid and acetyl-CoA to form citric acid.
E. pyruvic acid and citric acid.
65. Which of the following is the correct sequence?
A. acetyl-CoA formation, glycolysis, electron-transport chain, citric acid cycle
B. acetyl-CoA formation, citric acid cycle, electron transport chain, glycolysis
C. citric acid cycle, glycolysis, acetyl-CoA formation, electron transport chain
D. glycolysis, acetyl-CoA formation, citric acid cycle, electron transport chain
E. glycolysis, citric acid cycle, acetyl-CoA formation, electron transport chain
66. Which of the following statements about the citric acid cycle is false?
A. The process occurs in the mitochondria.
B. The major end product of the cycle is lactic acid.
C. At several steps, NADH molecules are formed.
D. Carbon dioxide is produced at several steps in the cycle.
E. Two ATP are formed in the cycle from one glucose.
67. The result of five turns of the citric acid cycle would be
A. 5 ATP, 5 NADH, 5 FADH2, 5 carbon dioxide.
B. 5 ATP, 15 NADH, 5 FADH2, 10 carbon dioxide.
C. 10 ATP, 30 NADH, 10 FADH2, 20 carbon dioxide.
D. 10 ATP, 10 NADH, 5 FADH2, 10 carbon dioxide.
E. 15 ATP, 15 NADH, 15 FADH2, 15 carbon dioxide
68. The mitochondrion is the site of
B. the citric acid cycle.
C. anaerobic respiration.
D. lactic acid formation.
E. the citric acid cycle and the electron-transport chain.
69. The electron transport chain
A. results in the formation of ATP.
B. converts acetate to ketone bodies.
C. converts glucose to fatty acids.
D. converts fatty acids to glucose.
E. removes a phosphate from ATP.
70. If oxygen is present, how many molecules (net) of ATP are produced by the oxidation of one molecule of glucose?
61. A series of metabolic reactions in the liver that : 1380612