71. If the hydrogen ion concentration in the blood increases, : 1380650.
71. If the hydrogen ion concentration in the blood increases, bicarbonate ions act as buffers by
A. removing excess hydrogen ions from the plasma.
B. releasing hydrogen ions into the plasma.
C. dissociating into H+ and CO3–.
D. combining with chloride ions.
E. combining with hemoglobin.
72. Which of the following is NOT a buffer system of the body?
A. bicarbonate buffer system
B. phosphate buffer system
C. protein buffer system
D. NaCl buffer system
E. hemoglobin buffer
73. Body fluid pH will rise dramatically when
A. sodium is excreted by the kidney.
B. large amounts of bicarbonate are ingested.
C. carbonic acid is formed.
D. the respiratory rate decreases.
E. carbon dioxide levels increase.
74. As a result of hyperventilation,
A. the body pH decreases.
B. the plasma PCO2 level decreases.
C. the kidney will increase the rate of hydrogen ion excretion.
D. more bicarbonate ions are added to the plasma.
E. the plasma PCO2 level increases.
75. An increase in blood CO2 levels is followed by a(n) ____ in H+ ions and a(n) ____ in blood pH.
A. decrease, decrease
B. decrease, increase
C. increase, increase
D. increase, decrease
E. increase, no change
76. Which of the following terms does not belong with the other three?
B. pH increases
C. H+ ion concentration increases
D. carbonic acid levels increase
E. pH decreases
77. Mr. I.M.A. Wreck’s plasma pH is 7.2. Which of the following indicates that the body is attempting to compensate and return the body pH to normal?
A. an increase in respiration rate
B. a decrease in respiration rate
C. no change in respiration rate
78. In renal compensation of acidosis,
A. H+ secretion decreases; bicarbonate excretion increases.
B. H+ secretion decreases; bicarbonate reabsorption increases.
C. H+ secretion increases; bicarbonate reabsorption increases.
D. H+ secretion increases; bicarbonate excretion increases.
E. H+ secretion decreases; bicarbonate excretion decreases.
79. Which of the following can play a role in buffering the pH of urine?
B. bicarbonate ions
C. phosphate ions
D. ammonia and bicarbonate ions
E. ammonia, bicarbonate ions and phosphate ions
80. The normal pH for blood plasma is
B. 7.25 – 7.35.
C. 7.35 – 7.45.
D. 7.45 – 7.55.
E. 6.80 – 7.20.