71. What moves the bolus during the esophageal phase of : 1380587.
71. What moves the bolus during the esophageal phase of deglutition?
A. pharyngeal constriction
C. the tongue
72. What keeps the bolus from entering the larynx during deglutition?
A. the epiglottis
B. the uvula
C. the tongue
D. the upper esophageal sphincter
73. Which of the following might happen if a person begins laughing while swallowing a liquid?
A. laryngeal constriction forcing liquid through the pharynx
B. relaxation of the soft palate allowing liquid to enter the nasal cavity
C. the tongue might be swallowed
D. nothing – swallowing will be normal
E. peristalsis will not begin
74. The portion of the digestive tract that receives food directly from the oral cavity is the
75. The esophagus
A. extends from the fauces to the stomach.
B. has cartilage in its walls to keep it from collapsing.
C. produces two enzymes that digest proteins.
D. has upper and lower sphincters to regulate movement of food.
E. has thin walls of connective tissue.
76. Which of the following cell types of the stomach is correctly matched with its function?
A. mucous cells – produce intrinsic factor
B. parietal cells – produce hydrochloric acid
C. chief cells – produce mucus
D. endocrine cells – produce enzymes
E. chief cells – produce hormones
77. Which of the following regions of the stomach is correctly matched with its description?
A. body – portion closest to the esophagus
B. pylorus – the most inferior portion of the stomach
C. fundus – opening from the stomach into the duodenum
D. cardiac region – the largest portion of the stomach
E. pyloric opening – opening from the esophagus
78. Inflammation of the stomach mucosa in the area superior to the pyloric sphincter is most appropriately referred to as
B. a duodenal ulcer.
C. a hiatal hernia.
D. gastric ulcer.
79. Reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus occurs because of
A. relaxation of the cardiac sphincter.
B. contraction of the pyloric sphincter.
C. spasms of the submucosal layer of the stomach wall.
D. increased hydrochloric acid production by the parietal cells.
E. increased amounts of mucous produced by the stomach.
80. Inability of the pyloric sphincter to open would prevent
A. food from entering the stomach.
B. stomach acid from being released.
C. digestive enzymes from being released.
D. food from entering the small intestine.
E. the making of chyme.
71. What moves the bolus during the esophageal phase of : 1380587