80. Although in transition, the older system for categorizing people : 1200675.
80. Although in transition, the older system for categorizing people with mental retardation, based upon IQ test scores, would have categorized a student with an IQ of 70 as having:
a.no mental retardation.
b.mild mental retardation.
c.moderate mental retardation.
d.profound mental retardation.
81. Rodney, a new student in your school, is described as being mildly mentally retarded, and he is mainstreamed into your class. If he fits the characteristics for this description, which of the following is the most accurate statement?
a.His intellectual functioning will be about average, but he will have difficulty with a particular basic skill, such as reading, and his IEP will focus on extra assistance in this area.
b.While his intellectual functioning will be about average, he will have trouble functioning effectively in the general education classroom, and his IEP will focus on helping him develop basic social skills.
c.His intellectual functioning will be significantly limited, and his IEP will focus on his mastering basic academic skills—reading, writing, and math.
d.His intellectual functioning will be significantly limited, and his IEP will focus both on basic academic skills—reading, writing, and math—as well as the skills needed to function in society.
82. Adrian is a second grader at Butler Elementary School. In her regular class, she is able to learn with the other students in most areas when she receives periodic extra help from her teacher, individualized explanations for some higher-level tasks, and gentle prompting to help her keep her attention focused. She also goes to individual sessions with a specialist who helps her with memorization and organizational skills. Adrian would most likely be classified at which level of mental retardation?
83. Of the following, which is the preferred term to describe those with serious and persistent age-inappropriate behaviors that result in social conflict, personal unhappiness, and often school failure?
84. Which of the following statements is the most accurate description of students who have behavior disorders?
a.Persistent age-inappropriate behaviors that result in social conflict, personal unhappiness, and school failure
b.Persistent inattention and hyperactivity often associated with difficulty in a single skill area, such as reading
c.Persistent classroom management problems often leading to or resulting from school failure
d.Persistent impairment in ability to adapt to the requirements of the everyday world, often associated with low self-esteem
85. Which of the following is not a characteristic of an externalizing behavior disorder?
86. Which of the following is not a characteristic of an internalizing behavior disorder?
87. Although estimates vary, which of the following is the best estimate of the percentage of students who have behavior disorders?
a.About 1 percent of the total school population and less than 10 percent of the special education population
b.About 5 percent of the total school population and about 10 percent of the special education population
c.About 5 percent of the total school population and about 25 percent of the special education population
d.About 10 percent of the total school population and about half of the special education population
88.Tony is a shy fifth grader who is very reluctant to speak in class even when called on by the teacher. He seems somewhat withdrawn, and his mother, in a concerned phone call to Mrs. Stoddard, Tony’s teacher, said Tony often describes himself as “sad .” His grades are quite low. However, Tony always obeys the classroom rules and rarely has any conflicts with his classmates. Based on this information, the best description of Tony’s characteristics is that:
a.he has a behavior disorder.
b.he is an at-risk student.
c.he has a learning disability.
d.he has a speech disorder.
89.Tristan gets into frequent scuffles with his classmates but doesn’t seem to be aware that he is often hurtful and behaves in socially unacceptable ways. He struggles with his studies but can handle them if provided with enough structure. When he becomes frustrated, he will be disruptive and doesn’t consider the feelings of his classmates. His teacher often places him in timeout because he is unable to follow classroom rules. Which of the following is Tristan’s most likely problem?
a.He has a learning disability.
b.He has an attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
c.He is mildly mentally retarded.
d.He has a behavior disorder.
80. Although in transition, the older system for categorizing people : 1200675