81) Movement of the sensory receptors in the ampullae of : 1200287.
81) Movement of the sensory receptors in the ampullae of the semicircular canals
A) produces sound.
B) allows us to hear sounds.
C) stimulates the receptor cells, alerting us to rotational movement.
D) stimulates the receptor cells to a change in body position with respect to gravity.
E) allows us to perceive linear acceleration.
82) Which descending tracts/pathways in the spinal cord adjust peripheral muscle tone to complement the reflexive movements of the head and neck?
C) medial and lateral pathways
D) posterior column
83) Sound energy is converted into mechanical movements by the
A) auditory ossicles.
C) oval window.
D) round window.
E) tympanic membrane.
84) The sense of hearing is provided by receptors of the
A) outer ear.
B) middle ear.
C) internal ear.
E) semicircular canals.
85) The structure that overlies the spiral organ, and which is firmly attached to the walls of the cochlear duct, is the
A) basilar membrane.
B) tectorial membrane.
E) vestibular duct.
86) The structure that separates the cochlear duct from the scala tympani is the
A) tectorial membrane.
B) basilar membrane.
C) vestibular duct.
D) organ of Corti.
87) The frequency of a sound is indicated to the nervous system by the
A) frequency of hair cell vibration in the spiral organ.
B) number of rows of hair cells that are stimulated in the spiral organ.
C) region of the basilar membrane of the spiral organ that is stimulated.
D) movement of the perilymph in the cochlear duct.
E) frequency of vibration of the tectorial membrane of the spiral organ.
88) ________ deafness results from conditions in the middle ear that block the normal transfer of vibrations from the tympanic membrane to the oval window.
89) The vestibular nuclei send reflexive motor commands to which cranial nerve motor nuclei, those that are involved with eye, head, and neck movements?
A) IV, VI, VII, XI
B) II, III, IV, VII
C) IV, VI, X, XI
D) III, IV, VII
E) III, IV, VI, XI
90) The movement of the stapes at the oval window establishes pressure waves in the
A) endolymph of the scala vestibuli.
C) perilymph of the scala tympani.
D) endolymph of the cochlear duct.
E) perilymph of the scala vestibuli.