81. Which of the following secreted by the stomach? A. : 1380588.
81. Which of the following are secreted by the stomach?
A. amylase and lipase
B. pepsinogen and intrinsic factor
C. bile and lipase
D. trypsin and amylase
E. bicarbonate and secretin
82. Which of the following represents a mismatch in stomach wall structure?
A. muscularis – two layers; both circular
B. rugae – folds of mucosa and submucosa
C. mucosa – gastric glands
D. gastric pits – open onto surface of stomach mucosa
E. lining – simple columnar epithelium
83. Why doesn’t the stomach digest itself?
A. The stomach wall lacks proteins so enzymes won’t attack it.
B. The digestive enzymes in the stomach aren’t efficient enough.
C. The stomach lining is too tough to be digested.
D. The stomach wall is protected by large amounts of mucus.
E. The stomach is protected by HCl.
84. Intrinsic factor
A. increases gastric motility.
B. causes the release of stomach acid.
C. facilitates the absorption of vitamin B12.
D. protects the stomach lining from the effects of stomach acid.
E. stimulates the synthesis of DNA.
85. Which of the following events occurs because of the low pH of the stomach?
A. activation of salivary amylase
B. enhanced carbohydrate digestion
C. proper environment for functioning of pepsin
D. protein synthesis
E. lipid digestion
86. The formation of HCl in the stomach involves the
A. active transport of hydrogen ions from parietal cells into the lumen of the stomach.
B. exchange of sodium ions for hydrogen ions in the transport process.
C. active transport of chloride ions from parietal cells into the lumen of the stomach.
D. exchange of sodium and bicarbonate ions.
E. the combination of carbon dioxide and water.
87. Assume we could alter the conditions in the duodenum. If we inserted a large volume of highly acidic chyme which contained a large amount of fat, which of the following responses are consistent with that?
(1) decreased gastric acid secretion
(2) increased bile production
(3) increased pancreatic bicarbonate production and pancreatic enzyme secretion
(4) increased secretin and cholecystokinin
A. 1, 2, 3, 4
B. 1, 2, 3
C. 2, 3, 4
D. 1, 3, 4
E. 1, 2, 4
A. is secreted by parietal cells.
B. is activated by salivary amylase in swallowed food.
C. is packaged in zymogen granules.
D. operates optimally at a pH of 5 or more.
E. helps to form peptide bonds.
89. Anticipation of eating food causes an increase in secretion of gastric juice. This phase of gastric secretion is called the _____ phase.
90. The gastric phase of gastric secretion
A. decreases the release of gastrin in the stomach.
B. is triggered by taste, sight, thought, or smell of food.
C. is mediated by impulses on sympathetic nerves.
D. leads to the greatest volume of gastric secretion.
E. leads to the least volume of gastric secretion.