1) More than what percentage of the U.S. population : 1201299.
1) More than what percentage of the U.S. population is estimated to have symptoms of foodborne illness without knowing or reporting it?
A) over 20 percent
B) over 30 percent
C) over 50 percent
D) over 75 percent
2) According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the majority of food infections are caused by
3) Which of the following environmental conditions would NOT increase the survival and reproduction of food microorganisms?
A) a temperature between 40°F and 140°F
B) a low amount of humidity
C) the presence of oxygen
D) a preferred range of acidity
4) Pesticides are a family of chemicals
A) added to food to enhance them in some way.
B) added to food that help to prevent microbial spoilage and enzymatic deterioration.
C) used in the field and in storage areas to decrease destruction caused by insects and fungus.
D) produced by microorganisms that harm tissue and elicit an immune response.
5) Monosodium glutamate, iodine in table salt, and the supplemental calcium in orange juice are all examples of
D) genetically modified organisms.
6) Which of these people have the LEAST amount of risk of suffering serious consequences from a foodborne illness?
A) cancer patient receiving immune-suppressant drugs
B) developing fetus
C) person with AIDS
D) person recovering from surgery
7) Which of the following produces a neurotoxin?
A) hepatitis A
C) Clostridium botulinum
D) Norwalk virus
8) Hepatitis A is a foodborne virus that can result in what kind of damage in the body?
9) For the 4th of July, Angel is planning a barbeque with her friends at a lakeside park. Which of the following practices should she avoid in order to prevent an outbreak of foodborne illness?
A) Transport and keep hamburgers, hot dogs, and other foods at or below 40°F.
B) Grill hamburgers to medium rare.
C) Do not let perishable food sit out longer than 2 hours.
D) Wash hands thoroughly and frequently.
10) Which of the following statements is F about the role of fungi in causing adverse food reactions?
A) Many species of fungi can cause serious illness in otherwise healthy people.
B) Fungal growth makes food look unappealing.
C) Fungal growth makes food taste unappealing.
D) Most fungi that cause disease in humans are not foodborne.