1) Which of the following NOT associated with type : 1201249.
1) Which of the following is NOT associated with type 2 diabetes?
B) insulin insensitivity
C) sedentary lifestyle
D) autoimmune disease
2) Which of the following is TRUE regarding type 1 diabetes?
A) Its increased prevalence is linked to the rise in obesity.
B) Therapy typically is limited to the use of hypoglycemic medications.
C) It has been diagnosed only in individuals over the age of 20.
D) Because individuals do not produce any insulin, treatment always involves insulin therapy.
3) Diabetes is a condition in which the body does NOT properly regulate which of the following?
4) In type 1 diabetes, an autoimmune disease may destroy the
A) hepatocytes of the liver.
B) insulin-producing cells of the pancreas.
C) neurotransmitters of the brain.
D) glomerulus cells of the kidney.
5) Which of the following is NOT associated with type 1 diabetes?
A) autoimmune disease
C) being prone to ketosis
D) the body fails to produce insulin
6) Approximately 18 million Americans have diabetes. Which of the following is the MOST prevalent form of diabetes?
A) type 1
B) type 2
7) Insulin cannot be taken orally. Why?
A) Insulin is a protein and would be broken down by the human digestive tract if taken orally.
B) Oral insulin has been shown to lead to the development of severe peptic ulcers.
C) Oral insulin does not control blood glucose levels in a consistent manner and is therefore very unreliable.
D) Oral insulin takes too long to work in the body and is therefore ineffective in lowering blood glucose levels.
8) Recommended treatment for type 2 diabetes includes
A) consuming more carbohydrate and slightly less protein in the diet.
B) selecting carbohydrates that are rich in fiber.
C) drinking at least two alcoholic beverages each day.
D) reducing the amount of physical activity.
9) Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of the metabolic syndrome?
C) unhealthful levels of blood lipids and blood glucose
D) waist circumference in women greater than 35 inches
10) Which of the following conditions is NOT associated with untreated diabetes?
B) kidney failure
C) cardiovascular disease
11) Insulin is synthesized and secreted by the