1. All of the following correct about the major : 1400774.
1. All of the following are correct about the major minerals except
A. they are also known as macrominerals.
B. humans need to consume them in amounts greater than 100 milligrams per day.
C. there are at least 5 grams of the mineral in the body.
D. the most abundant major mineral in the body is magnesium.
2. All of the following are correct about minerals except
A. they are very stable in food.
B. they tend to be water insoluble.
C. they are destroyed by heat.
D. they are not destroyed by exposure to air.
3. Which of the following factors can decrease bioavailability?
A. deficiency in a mineral
C. phytates found in grain
D. cold storage
4. Which of the following are binders that can decrease the bioavailability of some minerals?
D. all of the above
5. Which statement is correct about vitamin C?
A. It enhances the absorption of zinc.
B. It enhances the absorption of iron.
C. It prevents the absorption of calcium
D. It prevents the absorption of manganese.
6. The cartoon character Popeye always boasted about eating spinach to make him stronger because of its high calcium content. Why was this not accurate?
A. Spinach has no calcium.
B. Most of the calcium in spinach is not bioavailable.
C. Most of the calcium in spinach leaches into the cooking water.
D. Heating spinach destroys the calcium.
7. Which of the following increases the absorption of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium?
B. vitamin C
C. vitamin D
D. none of the above
8. Which of the following organs regulate water and electrolyte balance?
A. pancreas and gastrointestinal tract
B. liver and kidneys
C. kidneys and gastrointestinal tract
D. gallbladder and small intestine
9. Which is not a role that minerals play in the body?
A. Minerals participate as cofactors.
B. Minerals make up bones and teeth.
C. Minerals help maintain fluid balance.
D. Minerals act as enzymes.
10. Most of bone is made of
C. sodium carbonate.