1. Foodborne illness affects around 1 in ________ Americans : 1400876.
1. Foodborne illness affects around 1 in ________ Americans every year.
2. Which type of disease-causing agent is not a pathogen?
3. Which of the following disease-causing agents is a toxin?
A. Campylobacter jejuni
B. Clostridium botulinum
C. Listeria monocytogenes
D. Escherichia coli O157:H7
4. Which of the following microbes can cause foodborne illness but is rarely found outside the human GI tract?
B. Trichinella spiralis
C. Staphylococcus aureus
D. Listeria monocytogenes
5. Which organism can cause hemolytic uremic syndrome?
A. E. coli O157:H7
B. Campylobacter jejuni
C. Clostridium perfringens
D. Staphylococcus aureus
6. This type of pathogen carries genetic information for its own replication.
7. Which of the following class of pathogens is responsible for the production of mycotoxins?
8. The foods that most commonly support rapid bacterial growth include
A. protein- and nutrient-rich foods.
B. dry foods (rice, cereals, etc.).
C. highly acidic foods.
D. all of the above
9. Which of the following is not one of the necessary conditions for bacteria to grow and multiply rapidly?
B. pH below 4.6
C. time (at least 20 minutes) to multiply
D. temperature range of 40-140 degrees Fahrenheit
10. To ensure that all foodborne pathogens are killed in hamburger meat, the internal temperature of the meat must reach