1. Recent studies indicate that a deficiency of which : 1361485.
1. Recent studies indicate that a deficiency of which vitamin correlates with increased morbidity and mortality in children with measles?
d. Folic acid
2. Which vitamin is recommended for all women of childbearing age to reduce the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida?
d. Folic acid
3. A nurse is assessing a child with kwashiorkor disease. Which assessment findings should the nurse expect?
a. Thin wasted extremities with a prominent abdomen
c. Elevated hemoglobin
d. High levels of protein
4. A nurse is preparing to accompany a medical mission’s team to a third world country. Marasmus is seen frequently in children 6 months to 2 years in this country. Which symptoms should the nurse expect for this condition?
a. Loose, wrinkled skin
b. Edematous skin
c. Depigmentation of the skin
5. Rickets is caused by a deficiency in:
a. vitamin A.
b. vitamin C.
c. vitamin D and calcium.
d. folic acid and iron.
6. A nurse is preparing to administer an oral iron supplement to a hospitalized infant. Which should not be given simultaneously with the iron supplement?
c. Fruit juice
d. Meat, fish, poultry
7. Parents report that they have been giving a multivitamin to their 1-year-old infant. The nurse counsels the parents that which vitamin can cause a toxic reaction at a low dose?
8. The nurse is helping parents achieve a more nutritionally adequate vegetarian diet for their child. Which is most likely lacking in their particular diet?
c. Vitamins C and A
d. Complete protein
9. Which describes marasmus?
a. Deficiency of protein with an adequate supply of calories
b. Not confined to geographic areas where food supplies are inadequate
c. Syndrome that results solely from vitamin deficiencies
d. Characterized by thin, wasted extremities and a prominent abdomen resulting from edema (ascites)
10. Although infants may be allergic to a variety of foods, the most common allergens are:
a. fruit and eggs.
b. fruit, vegetables, and wheat.
c. cow’s milk and green vegetables.
d. eggs, cow’s milk, and wheat.