1. Which term best describes a group of people : 1361456.
1. Which term best describes a group of people who share a set of values, beliefs, practices, social relationships, law, politics, economics, and norms of behavior?
d. Social group
2. Which term best describes the emotional attitude that one’s own ethnic group is superior to others?
3. Currently, the fastest-growing segment of the homeless population in the United States consists of:
b. “runaway” adolescents.
c. migrant farm workers.
d. individuals with mental disorders.
4. Maria, a Spanish-speaking 5-year-old girl, has started kindergarten in an English-speaking school. Crying most of the time, she appears helpless and unable to function in this new situation. Which description best explains Maria’s behavior?
a. Lacks adequate culture for attending school
b. Lacks the maturity needed in school
c. Is experiencing culture shock
d. Is experiencing minority group discrimination
5. When minority groups immigrate to another country, a certain degree of cultural or ethnic blending occurs through the involuntary process of:
c. culture shock.
d. cultural sensitivity.
6. Which is a frequent health problem of migrant children and adolescents in the United States?
d. Cardiovascular disease
7. The nurse observes that the families who do not show up for scheduled clinic appointments are usually from minority cultural groups. The best explanation for this is that these families often differ from the dominant culture because they:
a. lack education.
b. avoid health care.
c. are more forgetful.
d. view time differently.
8. The Vietnamese mother of a child being seen in the clinic avoids eye contact with the nurse. The best explanation for this, considering cultural differences, is that the parent:
a. feels responsible for her child’s illness.
b. feels inferior to the nurse.
c. is embarrassed to seek health care.
d. is showing respect for the nurse.
9. The belief that health is “a state of harmony with nature and the universe” is common in which culture?
c. Native American
10. A Hispanic toddler has pneumonia. The nurse notices that the parent consistently feeds the child only the broth that comes on the clear liquid tray. Food items, such as Jell-O, Popsicle, and juices are left. Which statement would best explain this?
a. Parent is trying to feed child only what child likes most.
b. Parent is trying to restore normal balance through appropriate “hot” remedies.
c. Hispanics believe the “evil eye” enters when a person gets cold.
d. Hispanics believe an innate energy, called chi, is strengthened by eating soup.