1. A nurse teaching a class breastfeeding to expectant parents. : 1361473.
1. A nurse is teaching a class on breastfeeding to expectant parents. Which are contraindications for breastfeeding? (Select all that apply.)
a.Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in mother
d.Maternal cancer therapy
2. A nurse is conducting discharge teaching for parents of a newborn. The nurse instructs the parents on which method of care for the umbilical cord? (Select all that apply.)
a.Covering the cord with the diaper
b.Cleansing the cord with water daily
c.Keeping the cord area free of urine and stool
d.Monitoring for signs of infection
e.Applying bacitracin ointment to the cord daily
3. A nurse is planning a teaching session for parents of a newborn who plan to bottle-feed. Which should the nurse include in the teaching session? (Select all that apply.)
a.Limiting the feeding to 15 minutes
b.Propping the bottle for night feedings is acceptable
c.Proper technique for cleansing the bottles and nipples
d.Feeding infant on alternate sides of the lap
e.Use of bottled water without fluoride should be avoided to mix powdered formula.
4. A nurse is performing a gestational age assessment on a newborn. The nurse determines that the newborn is “term” if which findings are assessed? (Select all that apply.)
a.Posture with fully flexed arms and legs
b.Arm recoil brisk
c.Square window at 90 degrees
d.Scarf sign of elbow crossing over the midline
e.Popliteal angle less than 90 degrees
1. A nurse is performing a 1-minute Apgar on a newborn. The nurse assesses that the newborn has a heart rate over 100, a good strong cry, some flexion of extremities, sneezes, and has a pink body with blue extremities. The nurse records what number as the Apgar? Record your answer in a whole number.
2. A nurse is preparing to administer a prescribed phytonadione (vitamin K) injection 0.5 mg intramuscularly to a newborn. The phytonadione (vitamin K) ampule is labeled 1 mg equals 0.5 ml. How many milliliters will the nurse administer? Record your answer using two decimal places.
1. A nurse teaching a class breastfeeding to expectant parents. : 1361473