1. The nurse needs to obtain blood for ongoing : 1361480.
1. The nurse needs to obtain blood for ongoing assessment of a high-risk newborn’s progress. Which tests should the nurse monitor? (Select all that apply.)
a. Blood glucose
b. Complete blood count (CBC)
d. Serum electrolytes
e. Neonatal prothrombin time (PTT)
2. Which are clinical manifestations of postmaturity in the newborn? (Select all that apply.)
a. Excessive lanugo
b. Increased subcutaneous fat
c. Absence of scalp hair
d. Parchment-like skin
e. Minimal vernix caseosa
f. Long fingernails
3. The nurse is preparing to care for a newborn receiving phototherapy. Which interventions are appropriate? (Select all that apply.)
a. Avoid stimulation.
b. Decrease fluid intake.
c. Expose all the newborn’s skin.
d. Monitor skin temperature closely.
e. Reposition the newborn every 2 hours.
f. Cover the newborn’s eyes with eye shields or patches.
4. A nurse is planning care for a premature newborn. Which interventions should the nurse implement for skin care? (Select all that apply.)
a. Use cleaning agents with neutral pH.
b. Rub skin during drying.
c. Use adhesive remover solvent when removing tape.
d. Avoid removing adhesives for at least 24 hours.
e. Consider pectin barriers beneath adhesives.
5. A nurse is assessing a premature newborn for the possibility of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC). Which assessment findings should the nurse expect to find if NEC is confirmed? (Select all that apply.)
a. Minimal gastric residual
b. Abdominal distention
d. Urinary output at 2 ml/kg/hr
e. Unstable temperature
6. A nurse is admitting a premature newborn to the NICU. Which interventions should the nurse implement to prevent retinopathy? (Select all that apply.)
a. Place on pulse oximetry.
b. Decrease exposure to bright, direct lighting.
c. Place on a cardiac monitor.
d. Cover eyes with an eye shield at night.
e. Use supplemental oxygen only when needed.
7. A nurse is assessing a premature newborn. Which assessment findings are consistent with prematurity? (Select all that apply.)
a. Abundant lanugo over the body
b. Ear cartilage soft and pliable
c. Flexed body posture
d. Deep creases on the sole of the foot
e. Skin is bright pink, smooth, and shiny.
8. A nurse is reviewing acid-base laboratory data on a newborn admitted to the NICU for meconium aspiration. Which laboratory values should the nurse report to the physician? (Select all that apply.)
a. pH: 7.35
b. PCO2 : 49
c. HCO3-: 30
d. PaO2: 96