A Film Related To Labor Union.
Watch the film “Final Offer” ( you can access it on youtube) and answer the questions provided.
1) What did you learn about unionized employees and workplaces from the scene where an
individual worker recites the contractual provision he believes foreman Morris tried to violate
concerning work assignments?
2) If the film had occurred in the U.S., what actions could the employer have taken if the cameras it
installed revealed a striking worker participated in picket-line misconduct such as vandalism?
3) Explain the impact you think a foreman like Fred Morris would have on the workers’ ability to
view themselves to be in partnership with their employer (as Chief Executive Officer Roger
Smith expressed he wanted) rather than to be in an adversarial relationship?
4) Utilizing a specific incident from the movie, describe the impact of the union’s internal politics
on the union negotiating team, its strategy, or the terms of settlement it pursued.
5) Explain how use of the distributive bargaining process may have helped or harmed GM’s goal of
convincing the workers they were in a partnership with their employer.