Review Chapter 2, “Theoretical Basis of E-Learning,” and Chapter 3. Just as theory underpins nursing practice, so too does theory support and inspire educational practice. Educational theories provide nurse educators with a unique lens for the development and evaluation of learning experiences. As a nurse educator, it is imperative that you become familiar with the theories that will help to drive your curriculum.
In this week’s Discussion, you explore three* pedagogies that are well known in the field of education: andragogy, Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction, and constructivism. Though andragogy and constructivism are essentially theories of learning and Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction is thought to be a model of learning, each is also referred to as pedagogy, or the practice and science of teaching.
*Note: By Day 1 of this week, your Instructor will assign one of these three pedagogies to you for your Discussion: andragogy, Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction, or constructivism. Be sure to match your initial posting to the thread of the pedagogy that your Instructor will assign you. For example, if you are assigned andragogy, then post to the Discussion – Week 1 (andragogy) thread.
- Review Chapter 2, “Theoretical Basis of E-Learning,” and Chapter 3, “Instructional Design for E-Learning in Nurse Education,” of the Bristol and Zerwekh course text. Reflect on the ways nurse educators use pedagogies to guide the development of curricula.
- Search the Internet to locate a learning experience that adheres to the following guidelines:
- The learning experience is described in detail through a step-by-step Lesson Plan, lesson summary, or an online video.
- The learning experience is representative of nursing curriculum (i.e., the lesson teaches a technical skill or concept that could be beneficial to nursing students, staff, or patients).
- You are able to share the learning experience with colleagues via a Word Document, PDF, hyperlink, or another method.
- Search the Walden Library as well as other reputable sites to locate one scholarly article related to the use of your assigned pedagogy. Consider how your article and your assigned pedagogy are applicable to the education of nursing students, staff, and/or patients. Conduct further research as needed.
- Examine your selected learning experience through the lens of your assigned pedagogy.
- Is this pedagogy implicitly or explicitly used in this lesson?
- If you were the instructor, how might you integrate (or further include) this pedagogy to enhance the learning experience?